New smoke alarm legislation for sale properties.
From 1st January 2022 smoke alarms in every Queensland residential property being sold must meet new smoke alarm legislation. In summary, alarms must –
- Be either 240-volt hardwired or powered by 10-year non-removable batteries.
- Be interconnected so that if one alarm sounds, they all do.
- Be installed between each bedroom exit point and the living areas with a minimum of 1 on each level.
- Be installed in each bedroom of the property.
- Be replaced immediately where not operating when tested.
- Be of a photoelectric type which complies with Australia Standard (AS) 3786-2014.
- Be replaced before their expiry date i.e., 10 years from manufacture.